Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I'm back

I know I have been MIA for the past month, recent weeks have been crazy busy, although most weeks seem crazy busy. I definitely think I need to scale back my activities before I run myself ragged. I feel like I haven't had much time to do any significant reading lately and that's never a good thing. I look forward to lazy summer evenings lounging on my porch with a good book and the crickets chirping (or whatever it is that they do) in the background. Those days cannot get here fast enough. In any case, I recently discovered Bloglines and have been reading what everyone's been up to - you've all been very busy!

Lately, I've had a minor obsession with buying knitting books. Just today I found three more I want. I need to slow down with the purchasing because I can't knit as fast as I am buying the books! It's all the beautiful pictures that entice me into thinking "Yeah, I can do that..." and while maybe I can, most of the patterns I am drawn to would take me forever. But does that stop me from buying the books? Nooo, of course not. This time though I am going to be smart and take these three out of the library and determine realistically just how many of the patterns I would knit before I invest the money. In no particular order, here they are.
Cables Untangled: An Exploration of Cable Knitting

Knitting Lingerie Style: More Than 30 Basic and Lingerie-Inspired Designs

Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice

Sigh...I want. But I don't need.

I did manage to score some great finds at a library book sale the other weekend. I picked up several hardcover craft books for $2 a piece.

But the best find of the day was Michael Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White. This is one that's been talked about a lot in the blogosphere; I was so happy to see it laying on the table I let out a little shriek when I spotted it. I'm glad to own this one as it is a rather hefty book; I know I can take my time with it and not have to worry about getting it back to the library.
The Book of Air and ShadowsWhich is exactly what happened to me with Michael Gruber's The Book of Air and Shadows. I got about 225 pages in and was way overdue my 2 allowed renewals so I had to give in and bring it back. I marked down my page number though and have already requested it again.

Other books I have out of the library include The Post-Birthday World, The Teahouse Fire, and Rise and Shine. I've got my reading cut out for me!

And from this point forward I vow to be less sporadic with my posts. With summer coming and the promise of extra reading time, I am sure I will have lots to post about. One more thing...Picnik is my new favorite tool - it's a very fun photo editor and is completely free.

3 comments:

nutmeg said...

I couldn't survive without Bloglines! That's probably a bit too drastic a statement but it's so much easier than checking for new posts everywhere.

And I loved the Crimson Petal and the White. I was really looking forward to his next but it doesn't look that enticing unfortunately (it's called The Apple). I wanted another big, long, rambling type of a book again ;-)

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back!

Library book sales are the best, glad to see you got some goodies, especially the Faber book, which I really enjoyed.

I also had to return a book to the library recently that I didn't get a chance to finish - I hate when that happens!

Anonymous said...

I love Bloglines too. Of course if you don't check in for a few days you end up with 170 unread posts...but still you can go through and read, skim or save for later! I am waiting for a library copy of The Book of Air and Shadows, too. I have too many checked out at the moment...