Monday, July 24, 2006

The Other Boleyn Girl

Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl has me captivated. I was hesitant to pick it up at first as I can go either way with period pieces, but I am finding the dialogue modern enough that following along is a breeze. I read the first 150 pages in a day and am looking forward to finishing up the work day so I can read some more.

The sacrifices Mary Boleyn makes for her power-hungry family are numerous. She is instructed to win the affections of King Henry VIII which she does at the age of 14. She soon becomes his mistress all the while remaining a lady in waiting to Henry's wife Queen Katherine. She bears him two children, one of which is a boy. Her family continues their scheming in an attempt to secure Mary's son as heir to the throne.

As Mary grows tired of court and longs to be with her children (who are kept at the family's countryside estate), Mary's sister Anne sets her sights on King Henry herself. After a failed attempt at a marriage that would have made her a duchess, Anne has become increasingly bitter and begins a ruthless competition for the King's hand in marriage.

For those who haven't read this one yet and have an interest in historical fiction, I recommend it. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: