Friday, March 02, 2007

Unsatisfying reading

I seem to have hit a bit of a reading slump lately. I tried to read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert for my book club and haven't been able to finish it. I read the first section titled "Italy" and enjoyed it, but did not enjoy the second section titled "India" as much. I found myself starting to lose interest and I can't decide if I want to read the final section titled "Indonesia" or just give up entirely. I've also had to abandon A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian by Marina Lewycka; not because I didn't like it, but because it's way overdue at the library. I always get an uncomfortable, unsettled feeling when I have to abandon a book about halfway through even if the book is horrible - there's no sense of closure.

Cracks in My Foundation: Bags, Trips, Make-up Tips, Charity, Glory, and the Darker Side of the Story: Essays and Stories by Marian KeyesAfter my last two unsuccessful reads, I decided to try Marian Keyes' Cracks in my Foundation; a collection of essays and stories. This is exactly what I needed; quick, easy read, entertaining, etc.; feel like I am back on the path to good reading.

Lisey's Story
Up for this weekend are some party preparations for a baby shower I am hosting next weekend and of course more reading. Thinking I may try Stephen King's Lisey's Story next.


I also want to try a couple of recipes. Domino magazine had some tasty ideas in their February 2007 issue (although this is the March 2007 issue pictured) for a zesty lemon tagliarini and candied orange peels dipped in Belgian chocolate. Sounds yummy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction to Eat, Pray, Love. I think I was expecting more of a travelogue type book. I really like Italy, but was less interested in the India part. Indonesia was so-so. She has an affair with a much older man, which is not my thing, so that's the way it goes. I did like an earlier novel she wrote much better though.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you hit it lucky with books, other times you get a bunch of stinkers!
Stephanie
www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I was thinking this book would be travelogue-ish as well...now that I'm reading these posts, I'm not so sure I want to attempt this book!

Amanda
http://www.apatchworkofbooks.blogspot.com

nutmeg said...

Oh, you'll have to try and get A Short History... out again. I did like this book - though I think her latest is heading for the over-hyped pile!

Kirsten said...

danielle- I had the same expectations for Eat, Pray, Love in that I thought it would be more of a travelogue book. I think that was why I was disappointed. It seemed to be a lot of her finding herself through her travels and halfway through India I started to lose interest. I will go back and finish it though.

stephanie- Right you are!

amanda - I probably wouldn't recommend this book; it sounds like you had the same expectaions about it that I did, so you might be disappointed if and when you read it.

nutmeg- I do want to get A Short History... again; I was enjoying it, but the guilt about it being overdue got to be too much for me ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hmm, I actually like travelogues when they're blended with other things (e.g. the author's life experiences, etc.) so Eat, Pray, Love actually sounds like something I might like!

I have Tractors on my TBR stack - I'd picked it for a book club last year but then ended up choosing something else (Atonement) and haven't gotten back to reading it yet.

I hate having overdue books, too! But I rationalize by saying at least I'm helping to support the library with my fine payments. :)

Books and Tea For Two said...

I really disliked Eat, Pray, Love, but the section on Indonesia was by far the best and I would certainly stick with it after coming so far.