Monday, September 25, 2006

Banned Books Week


It's that time of year again - Banned Books Week! Here is the list of the 100 most frequently challenged books from 1990 - 2000. The most frequently challenged books of the 21st century are:

1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
2. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
3. Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
4. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
5. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
6. Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers
7. It's Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris
8. Scary Stories series by Alvin Schwartz
9. Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey
10. Forever by Judy Blume

Take a look at some other statistics on the American Library Association website. I've read many of the books on the most frequently challenged lists and it's depressing to think that some kids may not have the opportunity to read these books - at least not until adulthood when they can make their own reading material choices.

On another note, I recently made a few purchases at Amazon.com and am eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write ThemReading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them by Francine Prose

The Emperor's ChildrenThe Emperor's Children by Claire Messud (I've heard great things about this one)

Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading: Finding and Losing Myself in BooksLeave Me Alone, I'm Reading: Finding and Losing Myself in Books by Maureen Corrigan (After reading Danielle's recent post about this one I had to check it out for myself. I think the title says it all :)


The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop: A Memoir, A History
by Lewis Buzbee (Ok, this one I just had to have - no ifs, ands, or buts about it)








The IllusionistAnd finally, if you haven't already seen The Illusionist, go see it. My husband and I saw it last night and it is by far one of the best movies I have seen in a while. I loved everything about it - the time period, cinematography, music score, etc. Plus Edward Norton is pretty easy on the eyes :) It is based on a short story that I need to track down. Overall, I thought the movie was very well done.

12 comments:

Les said...

As a former bookseller, I thoroughly enjoyed Buzbee's book (reviewed on 8/15). You're in for a treat! I have Leave Me Alone... on my TBR list. I've heard great things about it and don't know why I haven't bought it yet!

Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying the Buzbee book, too! I have the Corrigan waiting for me. I really want to see The Illusionist, too. A coworker saw it and said it was good, but I tend to not get to the movies and see them on video...I will see it eventually!

Carl V. Anderson said...

Glad you enjoyed The Illusionist. It was a great film. I want to track down that short story as well.

Colleen Gleason said...

Oooh, thanks for the rec on The Illusionist. I've been debating about it, but you're tipping me toward dragging my guy to see it on Friday night.

Kirsten said...

Les - Glad to hear you liked Buzbee's book, hopefully it will be waiting in the mail for me when I get home!

Danielle and Colleen - Definitely make time for The Illusionist. You won't be disappointed :)

Carl V. - Let me know if you find the short story. As soon as The Illusionist goes to DVD you can bet I will be buying a copy. What a great movie!

Carl V. Anderson said...

Me too, loved it when I saw it, review here:

http://www.stainlesssteeldroppings.com/?p=488

And I have to say, that damn Captain Underpants is ruining the fabric, pardon the pun, of the American culture, I kid you not....or maybe just a little.

Anonymous said...

Have yous tarted the Maureen Corrigan book? I got this for Christmas last year and for some reason couldn't get into it at all. Which is so weird as I was really excited about it (the title alone did it for me!). Looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

Buffy said...

Love love love this blog...and all your linkage!

nessie said...

My sister has a cat named after Rocky too...

Here in Canada I have HAD to read most of the books in the top 10 during my highschool years. Wierd...

Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://arkcdeqz.com/ytul/byie.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ufzkshml.com/ikti/tflh.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://arkcdeqz.com/ytul/byie.html | http://vscldmlc.com/yphw/xmuy.html